Shel Silverstein

I was reminded of my love of Shel Silverstein tonight as me and the kids read his book "A Light in the Attic".
I tried reading it to them years ago and no one was interested. But to my surprise tonight as I was reading, Emily had a couple of them memorized! I had no idea she loved the book as much as I do. So we all read some and laughed a lot.
Here's a couple of my favorite poems  from the book:

How Many, How Much

How many slams in an old screen door?
       Depends how loud you shut it.
How many slices in a bread?
Depends how thin you cut it.
How much good inside a day?
Depends how good you live 'em.
How much love inside a friend?
Depends how much  you give 'em. 

Put Something In

Draw a crazy picture, 
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-gumble song,
Whistle through your comb. 
Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.
The Little Boy and The Old Man

Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."
Said the little old man, "I do that too."
The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."
"I do that too," laughed the little old man. 
Said the little boy, "I often cry."
The little old man   nodded, "So do I."
"But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems
Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."
And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand 
"I know what you mean," said the little old man. 

Rockabye

Rockabye baby, in the treetop. 
Don't you know a treetop 
Is no safe place to rock?
And who put  you up there,
And your cradle too?
Baby, I think someone down here's 
Got it in for you. 


I love this book. 
Thanks, Mom and Dad for giving it to me 20 years ago as a Christmas present. 
It has definitely gotten its share of use. 
(as evidenced by all the water marks and the couple of pages coming out.)

****************************

Now I am off to watch Masterpiece Classic Jane Eyre. 
Trevor didn't even pretend that he would stay awake for it. 
Luckily, he will sleep on my lap so when he starts snoring I can just pinch his nose. 
Don't tell him I do that. 
He just wake up bewildered, looking around and then promptly lays his head back down
and falls asleep without snoring. 
Our little secret....

Comments

Unknown said…
Hahahaha! I laughed so hard when I read that last part!!! I'll have to try that one with Joey! He snores sometimes, too!
Jenée's Blog said…
Bawhahahaha!!
(You are so much sweeter than me, Sarah. I will wake Scott up and say "You're snoring." He'll apologize, and go back to sleep.)
Chris and Jenna said…
I forgot all about Shel Silverstein and those wonderful poems. I may have to go and get a copy in hopes that my kids will enjoy it one day too!
Aw the joys of having a husband that doesn't snore. I tell you it is one thing that I love very much about him haha! And I haven't heard Shel Silvertein in a long time either. I want to go find the books now too!
Jill said…
I am going to purposly stay awake after Steve and try that trick on him...that is funny!!!
Brent said…
I hadn't heard of hum before; but that is good writing.