Resoulutions?

It's kind of long....

I"m not doing resolutions this year. I'm certainly not against them but there's a lot things going on in the Haslem household and I don't need the frustration/anxiety that comes with resolutions.

At the beginning of the month I wrote some things in my journal that I want to remember and work on throughout the year. I'm not going to go crazy with it; I'm going to give myself a break and just keep these thoughts in my mind and reread my journal passage from time to time. And since I'm on this blog everyday, I'm going to write a few of them here. Not all of them because some are just too private (although not juicy-gossip-worthy-private....sorry to disappoint)

1. Be a lady. Dress like a lady. Act like a lady. How am I going to do this? First off, I will keep bodily functions to myself. Which means I will now be closing the door when I go to the bathroom. I no longer have babies that may need me at any given second and so I no longer need to keep it open.  I'm going to watch my words. Some topics are just off limits. And I will no longer cuss like a sailor (did you even know I had that problem? No? that's cause I don't...but still, it's a good thing to remember). I'm going to dress more modestly. No more jeggings (unless my shirt is long enough to cover my rear), tight pencil skirts, or low cut shirts.

2. I will get on my knees on the floor, no longer on my bed, when I pray. There are no monsters there waiting to bite my legs off.

3. Thirty minutes on the treadmill staring at the wall is a million times better than thirty minutes sitting in front of the computer screen reading People.com.

4. No more worrying about if people like me or not. I'm going to remember the words my high school counselor told me (probably about the most notable thing I remember from HS) "Not everyone is going to like you and you are not going to like everyone. If everyone liked you, you're probably doing something wrong." I know that I've offended people and that there are some in my own family that really don't care for me much and that's just going to have to be okay. But this brings me to my next one:

5. Be more understanding of others. Do not take offense easily. At a conference I went to recently, I learned that it's important to remember that you never know what the person next to you is going through, what they've been through and where they are at in their life. Be kinder and more gentle with others. Everyone makes mistakes and we are all just trying our hardest to be our best selves..but we/I fail at times. Or maybe a lot of times.

6.No matter what trials, heartache, despair...no matter how hard life gets, love your husband; support him; encourage him; trust him; have high expectations- He will not let you down.

7. Remember the drives we used to take when we were dating. We dreamed and talked the whole time. Some of the dreams we had then are coming true now.

8. Remember D&C 25:13-14 "Wherefore lift up thy heart and rejoice, and cleave unto the covenants thou hast made; Continue in the spirit of meekness and beware of pride. Let thy soul delight in thy husband and the glory which shall come upon him."

9. Remember to take time to relax and enjoy life. Money doesn't buy happiness but time together does.

10. Remember summer~ it always comes. But also enjoy the season as it is now. There is always something good and a reason for everything. 

Not too bad, right?
I should be able to at least remember all this.....

Comments

.....which is why we all LOVE you sarah. Loved this, thanks for sharing
Stephanie C. said…
I love you Sarah. You really are so wonderful. <3